Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cutting The Cord - Part 9

I was just getting comfortable with my Roku, watching TV on Hulu+ and an occasional movie on Amazon Prime, when I saw an advertisement for a new device called Chromecast. Its maker Google calls it "the easiest way to enjoy video and music on your TV." At $35 with free shipping, I decided to give it a try.

Chromecast is different from AppleTV or Roku in a number of ways. First, it's a small plug-in device about the size of my thumb. To install the Chromcast, you plug it into one of the spare HDMI ports on your television. Power comes from a nearly USB port (e.g. computer or cell phone charger) or from the included power cube that plugs into the wall outlet. 

Unlike AppleTV or Roku, Chromecast comes without a remote control of any sort. Instead, you control Chromecast (and select the programming you want to watch) using your laptop, tablet, or smart phone. You download the Chromecast app onto the mobile device of choice, and that device becomes your remote control.

Accidentally or intentionally, my Chromecast arrived with a minuscule instruction sheet, so I learned what I know about the device and its associated app by fiddling around. The breakthrough came when it finally occurred to me that Chromecast is basically a way to transmit to your television whatever you're seeing on Google Chrome (the free web browser you can install on your computer). The Chrome web store allows you to select from a dazzling array of free (or trial) apps that get "installed" on your Chromecast and displayed on your TV.

I'm not a gamer and I already own all the programs (apps) I need to run my business and personal life, so Chromecast doesn't get me any closer to cutting the cable or satellite TV cord -- except that I can get the same TV shows from www.hulu.com and www.amazon.com. I can, but then I'd need to fire up my iPhone or iPad every time I wanted to watch television.

I'm leaving my AppleTV, Roku, and Chromecast plugged into their respective ports of my television, just in case I want to switch around. For now, I'm sticking with Roku.

(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment